I followed the Chinese recipe online by 盈_盈.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter (semi melted)
- 1/3 vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
1. Mix all the dry ingredients in one large bowl.
2. Mix all the wet ingredients except the egg in separate glass bowl. If there are a lot of lumps of butter, put the bowl in a microwave oven and nuke for 30 seconds. Then whisk the egg in.
3. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and fold until uniform. Be careful not to over mix
4. Pour the mixture into a parchment paper lined 8" baking pan. Let it sit for an hour or so until it rises in volume by a third.
5. Sprinkle raisins (or other dried berrie) on top and press in a little.
6. Bake in oven preheated to 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
It makes a good coffee cake in my opinion.